Outdoor Photography Tips from Adventurer Chris Burkard
Chris Burkard is an Instagram sensation, surf enthusiast and extreme photographer!
In our latest video, “Chris Burkard’s Tips for Taking Great Outdoor Photos,” Chris shares at least a dozen tips for taking great outdoor photographs. His use of lighting and composition take us inside the waves. He gives us the feeling we’re riding the surfboard alongside him. In our new video, Chris reveals his secrets for capturing the action and adventure on camera. He says he looks for scenes that inspire him; “the moments in between.” His pictures tell a story. Chris says the keys to a great photo are: composition, lighting, depth, contrast and the MOJO!
Chris had some great advice, so we wanted to write it down for you! Here’s some of the big tips for taking great outdoor photos:
- Find what inspires you. Then shoot it.
- Simple moments make best photographs
- Use natural lighting
- Know why you are taking the photo
- Spark an interest
- Study the moments in between. Build the story. Tell the story. Candid moments are as important and planned pictures
- Capture reactions of people around you. Tell the story through people.
- What is the most significant part of the scene? Take a step back and observe.
- Good lighting is in the eye of the beholder
- Study black and white photography
- Compose shots to lead your eye
- Framing is key. Use branches, twigs, trees to frame photographs.
- Challenge yourself to find new angles
- Great photos: composition, light, depth, contrast and MOJO!
- Be prepared. Research your scene. Study your subjects, landscape and environments
- Develop your style
- Translate your style into a variety of photography (landscape, action, portrait, outdoor, black and white)